I'm afraid that with a very heavy heart, I am having to cancel the ASC swimming sessions at Stonar this Sunday, 19th April. Unfortunately we have no coaches available to run the session; Konrad is swimming and Karen and Charlotte are away on a swimming mentorship assessment.
The Width and TAGS sessions will continue as normal at Calne; Widths 18.00 for 30 mins and TAGS 18.30 for 60 mins. If you normally swim at Stonar but would like to swim at Calne on the 19th instead, then please respond to this email so we can advise the coaches in Calne. If this time/location is not a convenient alternative for you, this missed session will be credited in your next width block booking.
Sunday 26th April - STONAR time trials
On a positive note the pool temperature, which was found to be 33 degrees last Sunday (4 degrees higher than normal), has now be rectified.
On 26th April from 6pm we will be running some swim time trials for the swimmers that are in Stonar TAGS and those in the top group of width swimmers. Please bring an extra towel and a water bottle so that you can keep warm between each trial.
Many thanks for your understanding in this matter. If you wish to contact me about the trials or the cancelled session then please feel free too.
For those who have not been to the Springfield Centre/Community Hub recently, building work has been progressing rapidly on the exterior as shown below. This is the front carpark where the old Community Centre used to be. The new reception entrance is at the left of centre behind the orange fencing (the old entrance would have been just out of picture to the left).
We have a meeting planned with the County Council later this month to discuss the pool reopening dates and session times. The reopening is scheduled to be in time for the school holidays so that means July. I will post any updates as soon as I receive them.
It's been a long time since we left last June but thanks to the efforts and loyalty of the parents, coaches and swimmers we are still going strong, and we have received generous grants from Corsham Town Council and the Area Board to help with the finances. Bath University Pool is planned to reopen later in April and those training times will be publicised as soon as they are confirmed.
I hope that everyone is enjoying their break in the Bank Holiday sunshine. Just a reminder that training resumes on Sunday 12th at Stonar and Calne.
The school holidays are nearly upon us, and there will be a break in the training sessions as follows.
- Training will continue as normal up until Sunday 29th March with the last sessions at Stonar and Calne before the break.
- Training sessions will resume on Sunday 12th April at Stonar and Calne, and then continue as usual.
Due to MOD operational demands we have not been able to extend the booking at Colerne after Easter and therefore our last session there will be on March 24th. However we are expecting the Bath University pool to reopen in the second half of April and will advertise those sessions as soon as we have confirmation.
Wiltshire Country ASA have issued the following statement regarding the cancellation of the sessions last Sunday at the County Championships, and the effect of the revised schedule on the Moonraker Winter League Finals.
Following the problems at the Link on Sunday last, resulting in the postponement of sessions 6 & 7 of the County Championships, a great deal of thought & consultation has taken place over the last 24 hours, on how best to address this unfortunate situation. As a result, the options available have been considered by the Competition Management Team and they in turn, referred the matter to the Emergency Committee for an urgent decision, thereby giving Clubs as much time as possible to make the necessary alternative arrangements.
There were many considerations taken into account, but foremost has been the interest of those swimmers participating in the County Championships, that hoped to gain an entry qualifying time to the Regional events.
As a result the following decisions have been made by the Emergency Committee:
- The Winter League final galas, scheduled for the 14th March ’15 have been cancelled. Final placings & awards for 2015 will be based on the ranked order at the end of round 3.
- The cancelled sessions 6 & 7 will be held at the Link on Saturday 14th March ’15 – warm up times 12:00 noon & 16:00 respectively.
- Clubs allocated jobs for the 1st March ’15 are asked to fulfil the same roles on 14th March ’15.
- Swimmers already entered, but not available on the revised date will not be charged. If any of those swimmers were realistically optimistic of obtaining a Regional QT, they can apply to swim a time-trial on the 8th March ’15. The events involved are 400 Free / 50 Fly / 100 Breast / 200 Back. Anyone requesting a time trial (foc) will need to e-mail Diane Lee & Rob Hart by 22:00 on Thursday 5th March ’15. Any swimmer entered but forced to withdraw as a result of injury, can also be accommodated for a time trial.
If there are any questions please contact Julia Chadwick or Dave Jones.
Before the youth get their chance to shine at the Link Centre next weekend, the Masters descended en masse to show that they've still got what it takes when it comes to competitive swimming. 114 swimmers representing 15 teams - with 13 of them from Corsham. The usual events on offer: 50 back, 100 fly, 25 breast and 100 free - and copious amounts of relays.
To all members who have not yet renewed their membership.
If you are currently swimming or competing for the club then please be aware that your last date of swimming with Corsham ASC will be Saturday 14th March.
If you do wish to continue swimming with Corsham ASC then you should return your membership forms within the next few days. If you would like these to be resent to you, please email/call Kat Redman on email@example.com/01225 811440.
Please note that we will not be swimming at Colerne next Tuesday (Feb 17th). It is half-term so enjoy the break!
All other training sessions continue as normal.
Work has continued on the Corsham Community Campus over the past 2 months and this is now advanced to the front carpark and the changing rooms at what used to be the entrance to the Springfield Centre.
At the AGM in November Penny Bell, Community Engagement Officer, took questions which are minuted here. A summary was
• The Campus has now been open since August 2014 though some leisure facilities including the pool remain closed.
• The current expected date for reopening the pool is early summer 2015
• Additional work has now been identified regarding refurbishment of existing facilities. This had not been planned and will be put to tender for a new contractor which is causing the delay to the reopening of the pool.
• The new refurbishment work will include an all-new health suite, wet side changing rooms, exercise rooms (Club Room), pool retiling/grouting and redecoration, corridor refurbishment.
• Dates are approximate at this stage.
I keep in regular contact with the County Council and the update email I received this morning states that the pool reopening is still scheduled at the expected date, i.e. June 2015. To quote Penny Bell on selection of the new contractors
"... they are at the PQQ stage and the contractors will be assessed and selected over the coming weeks. This doesn’t, however, have any effect on the overall build timescales and the campus/swimming pool is due to be completed this summer (June)."
(The PQQ was an invitation for local building companies to register an interest in bidding for the new work.)
Therefore we are still expecting to return in June and will certainly be holding some special celebratory events when we do. As soon as I have any further details I will post them and pass them on to everyone.
The full set of results from the single length gala held in December is attached below.